Monday, June 22, 2015

Prague like a local.

So I'm super behind, but after my wonderfully fun week in Estonia, I returned to Prague and got to spend about two weeks exploring this lovely city and even some other towns in the Czech Republic. It has been so much fun, and I truly have gotten to see the city like a local. I have the metro and tram system down, and after spending a few days completely on my own, I have fallen in love. Prague is so beautiful, it feels smaller than it is and the culture and history is so rich here. The time that I get to spend with my sister is absolutely amazing. She shows me her favorite spots, stores, and the best restaurants and pubs of course, and even the cool places around her neighborhood.

Of course, I had to see all the beautiful churches and buildings around Prague to start. I saw St. Vitus Cathedral, the Prague Castle, the Old Town Square with the astronomical clock, the Lennon Wall, and a few others. I have absolutely loved Prague. It's different when you get to spend entire days wandering around by yourself. You find interesting places and things and it's honestly really fun.

One night, we were wandering around Old Town and there was a wonderful little Italian festival going on. So we had wine, prosciutto and fresh melon, and cheese for dinner. Then a spritz, which was something I've never had before too. I think it was then that Thea and I decided we wanted to go to Italy out of all of the places we were considering for our little week get-away.

The Beatles fan in me came out and I absolutely loves the Lennon Wall and I even drug Thea to the overpriced Lennon Pub for a beer. -overpriced being like 2 American dollars :)

But my time in Prague has been absolutely wonderful. I've found my favorite bakeries and coffee shops, a park to run in, bookshops and stores that I love. I check out a new cafe almost day, except for my now favorite Cafe Jen, which is just down the street from Thea's flat.

But all in all I absolutely love the Czech Republic and I can't wait to come back and study here in the Spring.

Our Lady before Tyn Cathedral in Old Town Square
Our Lady before Tyn Cathedral in Old Town Square.

The astronomical clock.
The astronomical clock.

Stopped for coffee and dessert at the Grand Cafe Orient in Old Town. Delicious!
Stopped for coffee and dessert at the Grand Cafe Orient in Old Town. Delicious!

IMG_6665

Sitting on St. Charles Bridge
Sitting on St. Charles Bridge.

IMG_6692

The Italian Festival where we stopped for dinner and drinks.
The Italian Festival where we stopped for dinner and drinks.

IMG_6795

St. Charles Bridge
St. Charles Bridge

IMG_6745

IMG_6739

IMG_3088

IMG_6737

Golden Lane at the Prague Castle
Golden Lane at the Prague Castle

IMG_6755

IMG_6757

IMG_6764

IMG_6783

IMG_6785

The Lennon Wall
The Lennon Wall

Had to add my name :) Later learned it was a crime.
Had to add my name :) Later learned it was a crime.

IMG_6715

IMG_6712

IMG_6719

IMG_6727

The Lennon Pub
The Lennon Pub

Drinking some wine in the park. Later found out that was allowed either :)
Drinking some wine in the park. Later found out that wasn't allowed either :)

One day we went to the Prague Minibrewery Festival at the Prague Castle. It was so much fun and the beer was as always delicious. My goal was to try them all but I think some very bad things would have happened if I actually did. Thank god for the Tavern (the best burger I've ever eaten - take notes Nebraska) after all of the free tasters :)

IMG_3101

After a few too many tasters, we decided to ask for a full one to go :)
After a few too many tasters, we decided to ask for a full one to go :)

IMG_3671

IMG_3672

We even decided to brew our own beer one night! It's still fermenting in the closet so I can't tell you how it tastes. I wish we had a store like Beer Geek in Nebraska! I could finally have a hobby!

IMG_3097

One day I explored Lover's Hill (yes, alone) and the Strahov Montastery. Monks liked to brew their own beer and the St. Norbert's Amber Ale was the best beer I've ever had. A mini brewery called Matuska might give it a run for its money but I definitely got one to take home! The views from the monastery were absolutely beautiful and there was a really cool historical library too.

IMG_3067

IMG_3069

IMG_3073

IMG_3074

3 comments:

  1. Therin the pictures are beautiful i can tell you enjoyed your time there. but here in Nebraska we miss you ! Love dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon Yosten NealJune 22, 2015 at 6:57 PM

    Therin, so enjoy your pictures & postings!! Sounds & looks like a n awesome place to explore & vacation!!

    ReplyDelete